What’s Wrong With a Family-Like Culture
Treating your employees like family sounds nice, but makes no sense. In fact, trying to run your organization as a family – or even merely saying that you do — will hold you back, and may even backfire.
Your company is not like a family because:
- You have to let people go.
- You must set and use performance standards.
- Your organization should aim to fulfill a higher purpose.
- Your employees don’t want or expect your company to be a family.
- You can end up with unhealthy attitudes toward your employees.
Learn more about why your organization is not a family and what I suggest as an alternative in my new Forbes article, Stop Saying Your Company Is Like A Family. And if you’re one of the folks I’m guessing my POV might rub the wrong way, please leave your feedback in the Comments below. Thanks!