Denise initially cultivated her brand-building approaches through several high-level positions in advertising and client-side marketing. She served as lead strategist at advertising agencies for Burger King and Land Rover and as the marketing leader and analyst for Jack in the Box restaurants and Spiegel catalogs. Denise went on to head Sony Electronic Inc.’s first ever brand office, where she was the vice president/general manager of brand and strategy and garnered major corporate awards.
An influential writer, Denise enjoys challenging readers to think differently about brand-building. She contributes the monthly column Brand New Perspectives to QSR Magazine and has published work in numerous outlets, including Harvard Business Review, Advertising Age, and OPEN Forum. In 2008 she launched her blog, brand-as-business bites™™, which the Marketing Executives Networking Group (MENG) named as one of the top 20 marketing blogs. Denise also penned the book What Great Brands Do: The Seven Brand-Building Principles that Separate the Best from the Rest (Jossey-Bass).
With her expertise and personal approach, Denise delivers an array of inspirational workshops, presentations, and keynote addresses to business leaders in all industries. When she’s not writing or speaking, she serves as the brand director for TEDx San Diego and sits on the board of directors for a branch of the YMCA.
Outside of her professional roles, Denise counts hiking Mount Kilimanjaro, dancing with a professional ballet company, and flying a helicopter as some of her greatest life experiences.
- Sony Electronics Inc.’s first-ever brand leader as Vice President/General Manager, Brand and Strategy
- Strategic marketing and marketing communications head for Sony’s $3BB+ Personal Mobile and Imaging Division
- Lead strategist at advertising agencies for Burger King, Land Rover, and Unilever
- Marketing leader and analyst at Jack In the Box and Spiegel
- Speaking engagements at national audiences at conferences including the Consumer Electronics Show, National Restaurant Show, and American Marketing Association
- Published in Harvard Business Review, SmartBrief on Leadership, GigaOm, and Advertising Age
- Quotations by publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Businessweek, and USA Today
- Columnist for QSR Magazine, the national magazine for quick-service restaurant executives, writing the monthly Brand New Perspectives column
- Brand-as-business bites blog was voted one of the Top 20 Marketing Blogs that Marketing Executives Actually Read
- Brand director for TEDxSanDiego
- Advisory board member of San Diego Sport Innovators
- Advisory board member of World Brand Congress
- Judge for Association of Management Consulting Firms Awards
- Finalist Selection Committee member for CONNECT’s Most Innovative New Product Awards
- Board of Directors and Marketing Committee Chairperson for a branch of the YMCA
- The American Marketing Association (EFFIE)
- HOW Magazine’s Interactive Design competition
- The Financial Communications Society
- Sony Corporation, and Sony Electronics Inc.
Best speaker of the day… a fresh perspective.
Director, Global Vertical Marketing, Facebook
I’ve worked with Denise in different capacities over the years (client and colleague) and the result is always the same. She uncovers fresh insights into the consumer and the brand and then seamlessly connects the dots.
Co-President, Executive Director/Brand Innovation
Denise Yohn is that special combination of cool and professional. Our readers love the real-world advice she offers. Her focus on innovative marketing tactics that deliver real ROI is a breath of fresh air.
Editorial Director, Food News Media